Following the conclusion of the Great British Bake Off earlier this autumn, my colleagues and I have started our own version at work. This week was my turn, so I decided to repeat the vegan and refined sugar-free carrot cake I made earlier this term for a birthday lunch.
The version below is the doubled up version which created two loaves and 4 mini loaves.
- 120g vegetable oil
- 460ml coconut milk (I use Koko)
- 4 tbsp Agave syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 200g grated carrot
- 200g raisins
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 300g flour
- 300g ground almonds
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat an oven to 190°C
- Grease and line the baking tins.
- Combine the oil, milk, syrup, vanilla extract, spice, fruit, carrots, almonds, coconuts and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into the mixture and stir well.
- Divide the mixture into the baking tins and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean.