One of my favourite Finnish treats is rhubarb pie, or raparperipiirakka: slightly sweetened rhubarb on a light fluffy sponge base. It is my go-to when taking a coffee break, or when I want a quick homemade sugar fix. Best enjoyed with a cup of strong coffee and vanilla sauce.
Serves as many people as you want to share with.
- 100g sugar
- 50g melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 100ml single cream
- 1tbsp sugar mixed with 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- Chop rhubarb into 1cm pieces and coat in the sugar mix
- Grease a cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Combine the eggs and sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla sugar and mix.
- Gradually stir in the flour and add the cream.
- Pour the mix into the cake tin and ensure it is evenly spread.
- Spoon the sugary rhubarb onto the cake mix, and top with any remaining sugar.
- Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.